Saturday, September 18, 2010

Simple things

A little boy sat on the bus beside me, on my way back from work. He was bundled up in a blue windbreaker complimenting his blue eyes, kneeling on the seat and staring out the window. Then the bell rang and his forty-something-year-old mother scolded him for ringing the bell unnecessarily.He defensively replied "I didn't do it! But mommy, can you please, please, tell me when it's our stop so I can ring it?"

I smiled to myself then, because somehow, I knew he was about to make my day. He stared at me moments after. I looked to him and smiled. He then whispered to me, when his mother was looking away, if he could ring the bus to stop for me. Right about then, my 'maternal-tendencies' surfaced. I suddenly wanted to have a baby right then and there so badly....In fact, I wanted to hug the blue-eyed boy for being so cute!

So I told him, "surething" and cued him when to ring the bell for my stop. High-fived him before I left, while his mother shook his head and thanked me. Oh, silliness.

While waiting for the next bus, and all the way home, I couldn't help but feel elated about what happened. In the back of my head somewhere, I remembered what it's like to be happy from simple things. In fact, I vaguely remembered arguing with my younger sister whenever we were on the elevator, because pushing the numbered-buttons made me feel special and content!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, cute kid :D
    (cough, let's kidnap him >o>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, it scares me that "Kingston, Ontario" is continually listed in your live feed (over and over again @o@) because I've literally only been on here for the past 10 or so minutes.... Now I'm truly suspicious of all retired old Kingstonian men >.>

    SHOW YOURSELF RETIRED OLD KINGSTONIAN MANNNNNN! 'cause you're kind of creepy.. :/

    ReplyDelete