Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Human Trafficking

  • The 3rd most profitable criminal activity.
  • 3.2 Billions of dollars as an annual revenue is generated from this industry.
  • 50% of them are children.

I read an article for my human rights course with a profound statement by Walter Landor.
"Products are made in the factory but brands are made in the minds."

There is a 'knowledge-economy' in place to stimulate consumerism as a form of lifestyle. There is an ethical egoist attitude in place to put our self-interests ahead. Capitalism preaches for competition. Globalization extends for multinational corporations to seek cheaper resources beyond what is local. Yet, beneath the threads and fabric of each product, is a pair of hands belonging to someone who earns less than a dollar a day. The hands of women and children, trafficked, bought and sold for forced labour and sexual exploits. Out of sight, out of mind.

I have been told, buying products made from sweat shops at least grants those in poverty-stricken nations some income. I seek to question what makes us any different from them? We express our anger simply because minimum wage is not 10 bucks and hour, when these people are silenced. Why are we depriving them for privileges we have? Simple to say, we live in a nation preaching freedom, rights and security. Therefore we have a much stable system in place here and not where they are at. But mind you, the factories are owned by corporations here. We are a part of this system of exploit.

Perhaps I am sounding redundant to you. This could be my naivete voice speaking. I may sound ambitious, I may seem unrealistic.
But I believe it has to end.
I come off as a hypocrite when I say that. I like brand names. Chances are, my closet is filled with clothes sewn by little hands, of children deprived of simplest basic necessities. Of awareness? I believe I am informed. But I am frustrated because I am not making any changes. While I pursue my lifelong dreams and enter an institution to become educated. I consciously enslave women and children in another side of this world. They harvest the coffee beans I drink every morning, sew the threads of my t-shirts and dye my jeans.
It's inevitable.
I can't hide from it.
There is a legal dilemma in place with regards to prosecuting the multinational corporations. It would be a great accomplishment for me to one day reach the international jurisdiction and advocate against these injustices. For now, I promise to dedicate myself to Efforts United. Look them up on Facebook.

I look forward to attending tomorrow's Global Advocacy Day: Not For Sale conference on Human Slavery. I hope this will not be another one of those awareness campaign, preaching for change ambiguously....like this blog post.

We are PRIVILEGED.
PRIVILEGE is unearned power.

No comments:

Post a Comment