Sunday, February 28, 2010

With glowing hearts.

I have never really been caught up consecutively with the Winter Olympics. But as I sit here listening to Nikki Yanofsky singing I Believe in French and English, I had a sudden wave of goosebumps that ran through my spine. I witnessed Sidney Crosby scored the goal that won Canada a gold medal. Joannie Rochette has inspired me with her persistence and determination, despite adversity.

My heart feels big, and filled with pride.
Maybe this is what patriotism feels like.

I feel fortunate to be here. Watching the olympics truly made me reflect on many memories I have had in this country. Most prominently, the memory of which the night I first set foot on this land. The night I knew I'd call this country home. I remember the first time I actually memorised the national anthem in French. I remember in grade 10, my history teacher Mr. Breen brought to life how of how Canada was born, the stages of infancy, 'tumultuous-teenage-years' and the transition of growth and independence. Breen made me love the country more. I gloated at the country's establishment of peace-keeping, I fell in love with Pierre Elliot Trudeau, I memorize sections of The Charter of Rights and Freedom, above all, the wonders and natural beauty of the country mesmerizes me.

This I have to say.
Tonight is another defining moment for Canada. The Olympics truly reinforces the Canadian Identity which I have been told, Canada struggles at.
I experience diversity, I see genuinity.

Patriotism. Not nationalism. That is what that separates us from the United States.

& now I shall return to my law paper, another Canadian feature I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment