I'm sitting in the library again, with the intention to begin critically analyzing an article about Columbus.
But I don't feel like reading. It's plain depressing.
And Columbus is a douche who contributed to the annhilation of the indigenous population
I want to write.
Write to clear my mind.
I am a little teensy bit troubled.
But I'll be okay.
I always am okay.
A friend of mine walked out of law lecture today. She was missing half the lecture.
Then I found her. Sitting outside the hall, staring. I asked her what happened, and she told me she doesn't know anymore. Then she looked at me, and she cried.
Three years ago, her uncle was murdered. It seemed unreal to be sitting beside her, after hearing that. I constantly find myself engaging in a conversation with someone who's been victimized by violence and crime.
Yeah, the world sucks. It is filled with a lot of twisted and sick human being.
Today, my friend studies law. She made a vow to bring justice to her uncle. And as she sat in the lecture today, she doubted.
She doubted her ambition.
She doesn't think she can handle seeing those victimized by the crime.
& she explained how the complexity of law, the corruption and flaw....she just didn't think she could handle it.
I decided she couldn't be left alone. I have sunk to the bottom before, and it sucks when the walls cave in and you have noone beside you. So I skipped tutorial. I took my friend out for a walk, and we talked.
Talked about our future.
About corruption in every occupation.
About the inevitability of it
And we talked about change.
She had her heart set on prosecuting. Becoming a criminal prosecutor, sending all the bad guys to jail. And now she is just unsure. She fears being trapped into corruption. But she came to realization that, if nobody changes the system...who will?
I agree with her whole heartedly. But in the end, it is easier said than done.
My friend brought into my mind many questions.
To what extend can we change 'the system'?
WHY DO WE BOTHER?
To my last question, I'd say because we try to be altruistic. Because we want to defy selfishness. Because we want everyone to live in justice. But...the concept of justice lacks universality. It is complex. Ambiguous. Subjective. At the end of the day, I feel like people like myself...we try to change the system so it fits our definition of justice. Which will disadvantage someone else's definition, of course. So really, we're all selfish.
It's a circular argument.
I know.
Or I'm just not thinking properly.
Point is, we're all so different, why do we want universalize justice?
So my friend has something in common with me. We both are ambitious. We want to be lawyers. We both want to change the world.
But we just don't know how.
No comments:
Post a Comment