Friday, November 6, 2009

Expressions & Emotions

Protest against tuition fee rally today.
It was fun. There is something magical about being in a group.
Voicing out for the same cause.
A feeling of "Empowerment".

I remember, shouting "DROP WHAT?" and everyone responding "DROP FEES!".
And it felt really nice.
There is unison.
Strength.
Freedom of expression is powerful.

Aleema and I headed to the National Gallery after.
We first stopped at Starbucks.

I have a new fave drink now.
Peppermint white chocolate mocha :)

We decided to cool off from the protest and look at Canadian art pieces.
Daphne Odjig and Miller Brittain currently have their works being showcased.
Some paintings spoke out to me.
It came to life, and truly expressed the emotional struggles of the artists.
Particularly Odjig's, who is of native descent.
She had works portraying aboriginal suffering, confusion, isolation & reintegration.
Coincidentally, Aleema and I just learned in Human Rights of the aboriginal inhumane displacement.
We felt that Odjig's artwork reflected on the ethnographic perspective of the natives.
Eye-opening, emotionally understood spoke to us, I suppose.

There's a certain beauty in art.
It is subjective.
Beauty is determined on how you relate to it.
Miller Brittain's work varied from the Great Depression era to the World War II.
His WWII pieces were a little scary.

I felt sophisticated going to the art gallery.
& I felt like a radical protesting today.
I felt I experience two opposite spectrums of expressions.
On the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment