Monday, June 1, 2009

Our lives are like candle in the wind -Sandburg

I am writing this with a heavy sinking feeling in my heart.
I walked through the halls of the school today, it was dead silent.
As I stood by the main entrance, tables have been set up in loving memory of Lucas Krula.
The blue-eyed, blonde Lucas who every girl in the school had a crush on.
The same Lucas who sat at the other end of my American history class last year...
Whose mother is Ms. Krula, the Technology teacher, who frequently checked to make sure Lucas wasn't skipping class, causing the class to tease him.
He was polite and quiet.

He was the same Lucas that every tear-stained faces cried for when I entered my school today.

It was surreal.
Classes were quiet.
Girls were crowding in the bathroom crying.
I could not walk a metre away without seeing people mourning. It really breaks my heart to see one of my guy friends fall apart. He had known all three who passed.

I skipped classes with Sarah Y, and went straight home because it was expected that no work will be done in class. We were both overwhelmed.

While I spent my weekend relaxing at Port Stanley, the life of another one of my peers was taken away. It is tragic. 10 days left til graduation. Another tragedy, as an insult to injury.
This was not how I envisioned my graduating year. Three lives within the span of two months. All incidents were driving related. This had to be a sign, a lesson or an omen of some sort. Nonetheless, it was inevitable.

Despite the adversity, it is beautiful to see how connected and strong we are. The sense of community and humanity, really surfaces at the time of loss. My heart goes to their family. I did not personally know Babrus Abbas, Gurpreet Khela, or Lucas Krula. But their presence and energy did impact my life. They once wandered the hallways. I have seen them smile and heard them laughed...all four years of my high school. It is hard to grasp that they are not with us anymore.

I drove by the crash site just now to drop my friend home. It was decorated with memorial of flowers, and photographs. It hit me how easily our lives can be taken away.

To Lucas, Babrus and Gurpreet, time was too short for the three of you. Your presence will remain in our hearts. We will forever remember you.

2 comments:

  1. this is beautiful. it is good to know that lucas is being remembered everywhere. he was an amamzing person, who will be forever missed. ily luke, rest in peace <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were three of the greatest people ive ever known, life will never be the same without them.

    Babrus Abbas was like an older brother to me. He was my role model...someone who i looked up to...someone i looked to for guidance and comfort. He was truly the most selfless and caring person I've ever known. He treated everyone with the utmost respect and could always be counted on. Even when life treated him unfairly, he continued to smile and help others.

    Gurpreet Khela was known as the guy who always laughed and lived his life to the fullest. He went from being a friend to family in a short span of time. Whenever someone was having a bad day, he would make them smile. He was known for his sense of humour and his ability to make people laugh. He was honestly one of the funniest kids ive ever known.

    Although i didnt know lucas Krula very well, i could tell he was a good guy. He was well liked amoung his peers, and treated everyone with respect. From the few times we talked, i could tell that he was the kind of guy who lived his life with no regrets, and enjoyed every minute of it.

    Although God has taken them from us, they will remain in our hearts forever. Their deaths have impacted the lives of many, and for some life will never be the same again. My condolences go out to all of their families. They will remain in our prayers forever. May god grant them paradise. Rest in Peace my brothers, we shall meet again someday.

    ReplyDelete