It was dark and cool tonight when I walked home.
I don't know why, but there is something about strolling at night that calms me down. I have been reminiscing a lot lately. But one particular memory conjured up in my mind.
I remember it was November. Grey and cold. I walked into the school, lugging around an empty backpack, and headed straight into the office. There, I was escorted by two boys, Aaron and Andy, my classmates. Aaron was chanting "Lego Maniac" on the way to our class. At the first sight of Ms. Knight, I knew she was friendly. Our classroom was a portable at Fallingbrook Middle School, directly across my current high school.
I remember keeping my purple jacket on in class and refusing to take it off when my teacher told me to. Then, I recall resting my head on the desk the whole day, afraid to look up to the class, at my peers and at anybody. My teacher had asked if I was sick. I refused to admit then that I missed everyone terribly. Instead, I said I had a headache. I remember seeing little feet surrounding my desk after. There were people telling me to "get better soon". And promises of being my friend. I felt welcome instantly. Although, I did not look up until the end of the day (I rested my head for all six hours of school). But I did make friends the following day....and my peers lived up to their promises.
That was my first day of school in grade five. I remember it like yesterday, but it was seven years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment