Saturday, March 16, 2013

De ja -encore

I was staring into blank space. In the presence of deans and faculty members, standing on my pair of $10 black new heels my dad bought for me three months ago. I was hit with a sudden deja vu. No- maybe it was a recollection. A memory. Distilled from when I was in first year, around right about the same time. It was in March as well, in 2010.

I was discussing human trafficking back then, at Baker's Grill with the deans and faculty. And was the only one of the two students seated. Now here I am, standing with seven other students prep-talking myself in my head for a presentation. To share my experiences on Belize, and express my gratitude to the faculty for supporting the cause.

It puzzles me where the three years flew by. What confused me even more, was the whole presence of the dean and faculty was where it all began. And there I was this morning, about to present an end.

I was feeling nauseous. I couldn't tell if it was nervousness, or the cup of coffee I had mixing with my empty stomach. Or if it was simply the thought of being done university, hitting my core like a brick. I was caught off-guard by the reality of it all, I actually booked a grad-photo appointment as if I was on autopilot.

So much has happened in the years, that I have had little time to process....
For what it's worth, I know a lot of experiences have shaped me.

But it is still too early for nostalgia, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment