Monday, August 22, 2011

Dear Jack,

Two men in this world have shaped my political views and interests. Truly, you are one of them. For years and years, elections after elections, my excitement and heart would soar as I watched the ballot count. I have never missed observing your victorious expression. Let alone, that I have never doubted you'd lose a seat in parliament. 

While many have mocked and fired words like 'socialism' at your political platforms, you firmly represented the fundamental voice of dissent in our democracy. Like a genuine leader that you are, you did not speak for us. But rather, you echoed and facilitated our voices and those who are silenced. The women, children, aboriginals, ethnic minorities...the neglected. Even in your final letter you, you continued to encourage for our voices to be heard. I credit much of the passion for politics, courage,  and the motivation that I have in speaking up for my beliefs, to you. I would not be so daring enough today to speak my mind, if not for leaders like you. While you claim that the power and energy of youths inspired you, you are one of the many inspirational leaders to me.

Dear Jack, today I experience something I'd thought I only get to read in history textbooks. I have frequently been envious of the Trudeau generation, that I never thought I'd experience the loss of a charismatic leader in my lifetime. You were a Prime Minister we never had, but to me and probably to many others, you will always be more than that.

While I grieve, and am heartbroken by what has happened today, your perseverance is something I will continue to look up to. I will always remain proud of your struggles, be reminded of your accomplishments and be moved by contributions. Your legacy will continue to remain in our hearts. And I vow to continue fighting for social justice, for a loving, hopeful and optimistic generations to come.

Dear Jack, you are truly being missed. And I still can't believe this is real...

With love,
Shafiqah

 

No comments:

Post a Comment