I woke up this morning, with the familiar feeling of new beginning...a detached and near distant sense of high school life, slowly drifting away.
Last night, as I walked in the living arts centre, familiar faces surrounded me.
There was this feeling of warmth, and familiarity that I was very much comforted by.
In between hugging teachers and engaging in conversations with them, I had a brief vision of my high school memories with each of them, that made me realize how fast time really flew by.
I was in a robe. With a hat that pronounced a rite of passage of entering a new phase in life. And a sash, signifying a childhood dream come true...I was valedictorian.
As I walked into the theatre, with Mr. Kontos in front of me while principal Mr. Cianfrini behind, and headed towards the platform, I was overwhelmed with a feeling I can't explain. I think it was pride, happiness and nervousness. And when I looked at my mom, giving me a thumbs up and smiling at me, I felt that I owe all of this to her...
So came the time i crossed the stage to pick up my diploma and awards.
Each step I took, it felt like I was so much closer to the oblivion that lies ahead.
Throughout the ceremony, Mr. Kontos joked frequently to calm my nervousness. And when he stood up to introduce me before my speech, I realized how much this man has truly influenced myself. His speech touched me greatly and I saw how it brought my mom to tears...Seeing that, made me feel weak, and the teachers that surrounded behind me wished me luck just before I head off to deliver the valedictory address I have long awaited for.
I was nervous, but I tried hard to hide it. I had a strength when I looked at my mom and with that I started my speech.
I spoke words I felt from within, my heart soared at the end of my speech. A sense of victory. And accomplished moment. A reality felt like a dream.
As I looked in front of me, I was overwhelmed to see everyone standing and applauding.
My first ever standing ovation.
And I owe it all to my mom, the woman who continues to inspire me
Truly a night to remember...
No comments:
Post a Comment