Friday, May 1, 2009

Operation: Fool Ignorance

i love my Model United Nation's Team Cambodia!
Today's experience was amazing. I am grateful to be able to relive this for the last time, and end it on a good note. We are a such close team! We have been working, researching and debating for less than two weeks but it is brilliant how close and attached we have gotten. It's just too bad that we ended so early...time was just too short.

7:45 a.m.-Senior team members met up at my house. The team looked so good all professionally dressed! My dad dropped us off at the HJA Brown Centre where the Peel Board Office is at.
  • They served us breakfast, and oh boy I felt so sophisticated and mature sitting around a table discussing political resolutions while drinking juice and eating pastries
  • Ben Powless, a Mohawk Native gave us a speech about Indigenous life. I had the opportunity to ask him a question after the speech.
  • During lunch, we were grouped in a room with Malaysia and Romania. We formed alliances with Malaysia!
  • Lobbying took place after. Each delegate debated with other delegates on their position. Some countries formed alternative resolutions. We secured our position with Brazil. =) I should add that there were a lot of intense, political fanatics. I was honestly harassed by a delegate from India who would not stop persuading me with India's resolution...I had to hide in the bathroom.
  • Our team leader, Adrita, represented us at the round table. She presented her speech eloquently and brought up a lot of critical key points during the debate. We were honestly the only nation with an open mind and neutral stance.
  • The alternative resolution we liaised with Brazil (which Malaysia also supported) was passed during the voting session, with 13 votes!
  • Photo sessions with the team after and the team took a cab home enthusiastically discussing the amazing experience
Throughout the day, my team spent more time figuring out how to say Cambodian names than anything else. We attempted to memorize the Cambodian national anthem...but it was much too mouthful, and the notes were in soprano. It was all in the name of fun. Honestly, we were a crazy bunch. My team insisted I say that I am a true Native from Cambodia and speak in my language during lobbying. In fact, they insisted that the guest speaker was my long lost brother! The teacher supervisor for the conference, aka my philosophy teacher Ms. Whetter....joined in with the bullying. She is such a cool teacher. The other teacher supervisor (which we have had tensions with) did not even show up to support us. Oh, whatever...Whetter has been the most encouraging of the two teachers anyway.

It was pure fun. While other teams were in serious political debate mode, we were goofing off with each other and playing ignorant. It was strategy... ;)

If we were real diplomats...I'd think the world would be in a horrible position.

I am gonna miss Model U.N.! I'll join the Uni version of it next year, though!

It is my ultimate ambition to represent
in the real United Nations body, one day.
Maybe it'll happen.
It might...I'll just have to wait and see, I guess.
I will upload photos later on. =)

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" -Eleanor Roosevelt

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you somebody had a fun filled day :] catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete