Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Sunday in May

I made my way to the Brewer Park Farmer's Market this morning. I used to love markets, like the ones in St. Jacob's. I can't recall how many times I've visited there but I can remember having chocolate eclairs and truffles many winters ago with my grandparents.

I walked all the way to Brewer, alone. It was breezy than usual, but more spring-like than summer as it should be. I saw yellow dandelions sprouting on the green grass and couldn't recall when I last saw the branches naked- for the now cover with leaves and beautiful white cherry blossoms.

There were many people at the the market. But what caught my eye - between the potted flowers to fresh vegetables - was an organic chocolate booth. It conjured memories of Ixcacao Maya Belizean Chocolate in San Pedro Columbia just months ago. I chatted with the lady at the booth, and shared with her my experiences and little knowledge I had on the traditional Mayan techniques of harvesting cacao. Something within me stirred a little, when she suggested I sample the Amazonian dark chocolate. There was a similar bitter tangy after-taste, that my tongue was capable of recognizing. Much so that I spent the rest of my day craving Mayan spicy chocolate and the cacao drink I had made by Martha. 

I walked from Sunnyside to Bank St., to clear my mind. I decided to drop off my overdue library books at the public library. Only, on my way, I bumped into the librarian who works at Carleton. I have seen him around campus many times, and recognize him from when I first starting working as a Peer-helper in my second year. He's a kind man, and although we frequently exchanged "hello's" and polite smiles, I have never had a decent conversation with him until today. It was an interesting chat. For some reason, it felt surreal that a chapter of my undergraduate years is about to end....

Passing by mothers with bouquets of flowers at the Glebe, and a lady with gerberas on the basket of her bicycle...to smiling at a mother pushing her son's tricycle across the traffic lights. 

I couldn't find a profound meaning to sum up the day....but it was an interesting one worth remembering by putting to words, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment