Friday, January 7, 2011

Edge of town

There were four of us. Four cups of steaming hot cocoa, smothered in swirly whipped cream. One of us is the sweetest, like a sunshine she is always smiling. One of us is the enthusiast, always finding ways to keep things light with her sense of humor. One of us is maternal, the careful but compassionate one who is a listener. One of us is me. But what all four of us have in common is fragility, uncertainty, hopes and ambitiousness.

We sat at the same cafe I roamed around last year. At the edge of Byward Market, sandwiched between an expensive chocolate shop and the Beavertails stand.

Two years ago, in high school, I thought about sipping from a steaming cup with my girl friends at the edge of town. It was a silly rite of passage to womanhood I read from a book with the title I can't recall. Geographically, Byward Market is the edge of Ottawa as the opposite is the city of Gatineau. I fulfilled that rite of passage last night. Along with indulging for the first time, the colourful French Macarons (yummy).  =)

To more happy memories such as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment