It started off as picnic. Just us girls, who've known each other since middle school. A classy backyard picnic, with picnic mats and sandwiches in a basket. Then somehow, the most radical of us pulled out a bottle. It was sparkling juice, which we pretended to use as a prop for our classy, sophisticated and fake filthy rich picnic as 'wine'. I should probably add that we were slightly dressed up, some in hats and sunglasses. Well, the 'mature women act' clearly failed when we started giggling and someone snorted the juice right through the nose (it wasn't me, I swear!).
Our topic of conversation also evolved, from socio-economic issues to businessmen husbands of ours, and dream weddings......which eventually turned into something philosophical, "why is Shaf called SHAF?" (I admit, I question myself each day why my beautiful name has been chopped off drastically). I also had with me my guitar. We sang a couple of songs which varied different genres (including rap),
But it was sometime after we wanted a change in our characters, to be musicians instead of rich women that we were playing. But before that, someone suggested we hit the waterpark by the playground, just like we did in grade 7.
...And so we got soaked. I was drenched from head to toe, laughing away and being chased like I wasn't eighteen amidst splashing water, mixed with rain.
I have never had so much fun in my life.
I felt 12 again. It was a wonderful feeling...and best of all, I was surrounded by friends who felt the same way.
Because of Adrita's ambition to be a musician, I was lugging around my guitar with me, so we decided to be homeless and rock out as we dry up. We sat in front of the school, and waved at passing cars while singing at the top of our lungs. It was fairly normal that we received awkward looks, but several people DID came by and waved and cheered at us. Although, we did not earn any profit or money from our performance. But hey...that's a start!
The five of us decided to return home for dinner before hitting Adrita's for a movie marathon. I had my laptop hooked to her huge TV screen and we watched 4 movies:
- Two Sisters (A Japanese Horror, similar to The Uninvited)
- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
- Armageddon
- 17 Again
All that conversing and it wasn't long after that we realized the sun was to rise. At 5:30 we hit up the bleachers at our high school, by the open spaced soccer field. We were kinda quiet, sleep-walking and tired by then. The sky was clear and blue when we arrived but it turned pink not so long after. There was something enthralling about pink soaked clouds....And the purple that surrounded the horizon. Most beautiful was the lone star that glimmered against the purple turned pink to orange background. I wished you were there with me to witness something so metaphorical to a new beginning. It was sorta then that I remembered I didn't say goodnight to you. I am so used to saying those words to you for a month and talking to you before I sleep. It's silly, but I felt strange (and still do...a little guilty maybe) for not saying goodnight last night....
So everyone else decided to head home after the sunrise except Sarah and I. We headed to McDonald's for coffee and pancakes and talked about everything that has happened.
The allnighter had very much illustrated the definition of our friendship. I am grateful to be among these girls/women. My friends are spontaneous. I am surrounded by people who are not afraid to be themselves. I know for a fact that these are people I am close enough to call SISTERS. Hey...SUMMER SISTERS (like my fav book by Judy Blume!!)
Okay, it's kinda late now. Nearly 8a.m. and I don't think I am typing or thinking properly. Pardon me if my sentences are choppy, but I do think I need my sleep before I get cranky. And tomorrow's (oh my gawd, TODAY) is gonna be a crazier day with Jan and Reema.
Thus concludes my adventure with my wonderful friends....which I HAVE VOWED to remember forever and ever =)
No comments:
Post a Comment